Sunday, September 21, 2008

How Church is Supposed To Be...

Today we went to a friend's missionary "farewell". This friend is a student at BYU. We took our wonderful little family of five, stoller and all, across the BYU campus and attended a wonderful student-ward sacrament meeting. We were the ONLY people at this meeting with children. Imagine that. We were the only ones with cheerios, sippy cups, coloring books, cars, pacifiers, diapers, etc. The funny part of this story is at the beginning of the meeting. Sarah looks up at me and asks: "Why is everyone being so quiet?"
And I say, "Because that is how church is supposed to be."
And she says, "Not at OUR church!"

So true. It was a perfect moment to teach our children how reverent we are supposed to be. It never occured to me how often I must tell my children each week to be reverent, that it must be contradicting or confusing to them. No one else is being reverent or quiet. :o) The kids were definitely the quietest they'd ever been today, but that's because they could hear themselves so well. :o) Thank you for such a reverent Sacrament meeting today. A valuable lesson I hope my children remember. :o)

4 comments:

Sharlynn said...

I never thought of it that way. Kids sure are cute and think of things that I probably wouldn't. I guess I need to do that with my kids and see if I can get them in line.

Andrea Whidden said...

What a great lesson to remember!!!

Paula said...

Too funny. Almost two years ago my dad got hearng aides. After the first Sunday wearing them he said, "Can you believe how noisy it was in church today?" Scott and I laughed and said, "Dad, it's ALWAYS that noisy. You're just hearing it now." (He doesn't wear them to church anymore. I guess there is a time when not hearing very well could be a blessing.) :) P.S. I've been blog stalking you. I decided to just "come out" with it. :) I added you to my list. I love peeking in on your cute family! Hope it's OK!

Alecia said...

That is sofunny! My parents noticed how loud our ward is also... it's been awhile since they were in a young family ward :)
I' excited for you about your basement!