Friday, January 16, 2009

JURY DUTY

I have to be honest with you. I have actually always wanted to be on a jury. In December, I received my letter informing I have been chosen for jury selection. I was SO excited. So, this week I go to the court house for my selection. I see upwards of about 45 people there. They were only going to choose 9 jurors. At this point, I was disappointed because I thought I would never get chosen out of a pool of 45. They gave us a questionnaire that led me to believe the nature of the case. That's okay, I can DO this. After the lengthy process of introducing EVERYONE in the courtroom and telling who you are and what you do, children, place of residence, etc., we all sat down and waited while the counsel and judge went through the questionnaires and pulled people aside in the judges chambers for further questioning. I was one of those. That freaked me out. It wasn't so bad, when I got in there though. It took about 5-6 hours before they finally announce the jury. I was chosen. I had to hide my excitement. I was actually thrilled to be a juror. This is intense. This is a big responsibility. After having been a juror this week, I would gladly do it again. I'll admit, it was boring at times, and I definitely got tired of sitting. But overall, this was a terrific experience! No, I have no idea how much I'll get paid for this. Surprisingly, none of us asked.

4 comments:

Mike and Bridgett said...

It is crazy because I had to fill out my paperwork for Jury Duty in December too. I haven't been called up yet and don't really know if I will...I would only do it for the money...which is probably like a dollar a day. Oh well. What did you do with your kids while you were being on duty? How are things???

Beth said...

I love that you loved being on jury duty. I've yet to receive a call, but my husband did. He ended up calling in every Friday afternoon for a couple of months, but was never asked to physically show up. Way to do your civil duty!

Liz and the girls said...

That is cool. What did you do with the kids?

Jonathan and Katie said...

one day the kids were with my sister in law and the other days, jonathan was off work. Whew!