Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Dad


I was just thinking, while just sitting on the couch reading, I want to introduce you all to MY DAD. First off, he passed away two years ago on July 4th of Thyroid Cancer that got into his lungs. My Dad was the first person, I've ever been this close to, that has passed away. I miss him terribly still. I love talking about him. I loved talking TO him. I wish all the time that I could just TALK to him. Jonathan and I always laughed at him for how many jobs he's had and how many odd things he's done and knows how to do, and now Jonathan is creating the same funny list of jobs that my dad has had. :o) My dad loved going for drives. He loved the mountains and loved taking pictures of them. My mom and dad would drive all over, camping and taking pictures. He was very funny and always made me laugh. I still remember the last time I saw him. He was just sitting there smiling at everyone. It got hard for him to talk very much because he had a hard time breathing because of all the cancer. I remember though, that he said something funny that made me laugh so hard. I just WISH I could remember what it was! My one wish.... Sometimes I feel pretty cheated. I feel way too young to lose my dad. But him passing has only made me stronger. Knowing he's on the other side being a missionary to all those people we are doing work for in the temple. It surely motivates me to go to the temple! I can't wait to see him again. I love him so much. The one picture is of my dad standing there while I am the one fishing. yes, I look like a boy, most of my young years I did. :o) The other picture is when my mom and dad took us out to eat one night as they were passing through Salt Lake City and we had to rush out the door to meet them while Sarah still had on her dress-up clothes! Oh well. It's become my most favorite picture of my dad now. (yeah, he had a crooked/crazy eye, due to surgery done to it when he was a child.) :o) So there ya go, that's MY DAD. ;o)

7 comments:

Sharlynn said...

That is so cute and sweet. I love the fishing picture. Sounds like you have some great memories and he was an amazing man. Dads are great!

Matt and Mandy said...

Those are awesome memories of your Dad, ones that you can cherish and keep alive for your children. He sounds like a wonderful man. Thanks for sharing!

Mike and Bridgett said...

Looks like a successful trip on Saturday. Those are the best kind--away from home and everyone getting along and being outdoors. FUN! We also miss your dad. Mike doesn't say a lot, but I know he feels it everyday. Especially when he wants to go and do the things that you grew up doing--being outside and fishing, camping, hunting, riding...everything. It is a hard adjustment.

Andrea Whidden said...

I am sorry you looked like a boy too, we will have to compare photos some day.

I am glad you posted that about your dad, I know we have talked about him before, that was really sweet to read about....

Stacy said...

That is so sad that you lost your dad. Loosing my parents is one of my greatest fears and something that I dread. I don't think anyone is ready for that day to come even though you know that you will have to go through it.
Thanks for sharing your memories. They were very sweet.

Mandee said...

Katie, I'm so sorry I didn't realize your dad had passed away. I know how hard it is to miss a dad, all the things you wish you could share with him and talk to him about. And I really wish my children could have known there grandpa. I'm just grateful we have the gospel to help us through.

Liz and the girls said...

I miss my Dad too. I totaly understand wanting to just talk to him. I love your tribute to him.
Love
Liz